This individual will report directly to the Maintenance Supervisor of Catholic Social Services Residential Programs. This individual will be responsible for all maintenance duties as outlined in this job description and will be evaluated on performance
during the three-month Probationary Period and annually thereafter, according to the anniversary date of hire.
This is a part-time position, not to exceed 28 hours per week. Work hours may be flexible but are typically Monday - Thursday 8:00 AM to 3:30PM, with ½ hour unpaid lunch break; emergency situations may require a change in this schedule. Wages are in compliance
with Federal wage and hour regulations.
1. Responsible to perform the duties required to provide efficient housekeeping functions and minor repairs/replacements in all Residential Programs’ Buildings and surrounding property in order to assure cleanliness and safety for all staff and residents.
In addition, the Maintenance Worker may be called upon to complete maintenance services for other Catholic Social Services supervised properties in Lackawanna County.
2. When needed, will assist the Maintenance Supervisor to complete any maintenance /repair issues.
3. Upon hire, a work schedule covering all duties outlined in this job description will be developed by the Maintenance Supervisor and Center Director. This schedule will outline the routine duties of this position on a daily/weekly/monthly basis in order
establish a maintenance schedule that works to the benefit of all the Residential Programs. Emergency situations will be handled as they arise.
4. Maintain order and cleanliness of the work/office areas as assigned.
5. Building repairs will be completed via a work order, which must be submitted to the Maintenance Supervisor for prior approval. Copies of invoices for expenses related to the work order repair must be attached to the work order and maintained in program
6. In the absence of the Maintenance Supervisor and with prior approval of the Center Director, contact a repair service for an estimate when necessary repairs/maintenance are above your level of expertise. Oversee all repairs by outside sources. All costs
for repairs/ maintenance by outside sources must have prior approval.
7. Maintain operation/equipment manuals, repair/replacement records and a complete inventory of all building and household (i.e., appliances, electronics, furniture, etc.).
8. Inventory and maintain cleaning supplies for all programs in one central location; keep corresponding Material Data Safety Sheets (MSDS) for each cleaning product. Must ensure that the demands for quantity and quality are being met and that the most cost
effective methods are being implemented for purchases. Staff must sign-off for any supplies requisitioned for their specific program.
9. Report all damage, vandalism, unusual circumstances and conditions, and other related incidents to the Maintenance Supervisor.
10. Each morning, before commencing routine work, police the surrounding property and pick up and dispose of all litter; keep sidewalks and walkways clean. Check all garbage bins and empty if necessary, pick up any garbage that may be strewn about the garbage
collection areas. Garbage in dumpster is emptied twice weekly by Mascaro and Sons.
11. Whenever necessary, outside maintenance will include weeding, shrub/tree trimming, sweeping cleaning, painting, window washing, etc. Maintain outside areas in a condition acceptable to management.
12. In winter months, all sidewalks will be kept free of snow and ice for the safety of pedestrian use. Under severe weather conditions, sand and/or other chemical products will be used. During severe snowstorms, parking areas will be cleared by an outside
source, contracted for snow removal.
13. All stairways, vestibules, halls, laundry and storage rooms, building entrances, furnace rooms, must be kept neat, clean, and well maintained at all times.
14. All entrances and glass areas will be washed weekly (weather permitting).
15. Performs any other associated duties assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor, Center Director or Assistant Director.
The individual must possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent and have experience in janitorial services. He/She must have the ability to operate Agency-owned maintenance equipment for building upkeep (i.e., floor buffers, snow blower, weed/hedge
trimmers, small power tools).
The individual must be of good moral character, dependable, reliable, and emotionally stable. The individual must be able to pass a physical examination upon employment and every two years thereafter. The individual must possess a current Pennsylvania driver's
license and must have access to an insured automobile while on duty.
The individual will apply for criminal record clearance from the following agencies: Federal Bureau of Prisons’ N.C.I.C. Check, the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections, Pennsylvania State Police and Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance. All employees
of the Residential Re-Entry Center are required to have a complete copy of their fingerprints on file with the Federal Bureau of Prisons. He/She must provide complete details of any arrest and/or conviction records they may possess.
The individual must consent to random drug and alcohol testing, and must adhere to Catholic Social Services Policy regarding a drug free workplace, in compliance with State and Federal Regulations.
The individual must be certified in CPR, AED and first aid. If the individual does not hold a current valid certifications in CPR, AED and first aid, the training will be provided for the individual during the employment orientation period.
The Diocese of Scranton requires that all employees complete an initial VIRTUS Training Program, designed to empower organizations and people to better control risk and improve the lives of all those who interact with the Church. Employees will also be required
to monitor the VIRTUS website and complete any internet updates as they become assigned. Employees must also complete all other training programs, outservices, inservices, conferences, seminars, conventions, etc., as assigned by their supervisor.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.