This position reports to the Director of the Shepherd's Maternity Program. This position is responsible for providing guidance for new moms on caring for their baby and developing daily life skills. Duties may vary slightly depending on the shift.
This is a part-time position, Monday, Saturday and Sunday 4:00 pm to 11:00 pm totaling 21-28 hours/week; the shifts consist of both weekday and weekend shifts (4pm-11pm).
- Minimum education is a high school diploma or GED; a Bachelor's Degree in a Human Services field is preferred.
- Experience in counseling / case management / experience in a residential program is desirable, but not required
- Childline, PA State Police, and FBI background checks, as well as VIRTUS & Real Alternatives training and Mandated Reporter training completed prior to beginning employment
- Valid PA driver's license and car insurance
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
- Updated physical every 2 years
- Results oriented
- Cell phone available for agency contact and contact information in the event of an emergency
- Maintain the safety of residents and infants
- Encourage, guide and train residents in developing daily living skills such as cooking, cleaning and childcare (after the birth of an infant)
- Dispense and record medications according to Shepherd's Maternity House policies and regulations
- Complete appropriate paperwork including medication distribution forms and emergency evaluations.
- Maintain communication log books and document all concerns and significant events pertinent to residents
- Complete incident reports when necessary
- Prepare room for new intakes
- Ensure clean bedding
- Report any broken furniture items
- General room cleaning
- Empty wastepaper baskets
- Stay with a resident when taken to the hospital for labor and delivery until a labor partner or other staff person arrives
- Enforce all house rules, including curfew and time of rising
- Hold weekly meetings to discuss menu planning and assist residents in preparation of menu and shopping list
- Supervise and aid in cooking and clean up chores
- Assist with housework, organize supplies for pantry, organize inventory of storage area
- Conduct fire drills as required by law
- Assist with emergency evacuations
- Advise Program Manager of any call-offs or emergencies
- Participate in scheduled in-service staff training
- Conduct house meetings as indicated
- Supervise visits
- Supervise activities
- Resolve disputes
- Assist with recreational activities
- Prepare staff area of the house for the next staff person on duty
- Transport residents to and from planned activities
- Interact with residents
- Attempt to maintain and boost positive morale
- Supervise general upkeep of the house to see that it is always in good order
- Distribute resident supplies as needed
- Answer staff phone and direct calls appropriately
- Copy documents as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to function well in team environment
- Ability to work well with residents
- Problem identification skills. Decisions regarding residents' health, safety and welfare must be made without the consultation of other staff
- Decision making skills
- Planning and organizational skills
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.